How does the defendant know that he or she is being sued?

The Marshal, the Sheriff or any certified process server will serve the defendant(s) a copy of the complaint and summons filed with the court. These papers will inform the defendant of the nature of the suit. The defendant has thirty (30) days from the date that he or she was served with the complaint in which to answer the complaint. If the defendant fails to file an answer to the complaint within thirty (30) days, the law provides the defendant an additional fifteen (15) days in which to file an answer by paying all court costs along with the answer (totaling 45 days). If the defendant answers the claim, the Clerk will notify all parties and their attorneys of the trial date by regular U.S. mail.

Show All Answers

1. Are there any types of cases that cannot be filed in Magistrate Court?
2. Can I electronically file my case in the Magistrate Court?
3. Can the defendant file a late answer?
4. How do I electronically file my case?
5. How does one appeal a judgment?
6. How does one collect the award?
7. How does one prepare for the hearing?
8. How does the defendant know that he or she is being sued?
9. How does the plaintiff know that an answer has been filed?
10. Is there a cost to filing an answer or a counterclaim?
11. May I reschedule a court date?
12. The party who sued me actually owes me money. What can I do?
13. What do I bring to court?
14. What happens after the defendant is served with the Statement of Claim?
15. What happens if I file a case in the wrong court?
16. What is a default judgment?
17. What is the procedure for the hearing?
18. Where should I file my case?
19. Who may file a claim or have a claim filed against?